I threw a party last week, I baked a cake. It was a hit. This unassuming little pale green leftover is all that was left to photograph.
It's similar to recipes that call for adding stuff to a box of yellow cake, but if you don't use a box of yellow cake, this is how you make it. It won't taste suspiciously like a box of doctored-up yellow cake mix.
Here is the recipe. A friend said she'd serve it with candied pistachios and pistachio frosting, I'm sure recipes for those add-ons are just a google away.
- 2-1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 box instant pistachio pudding mix
- 4 tablespoons (1/4 cup or 1/2 stick) softened unsalted butter
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup club soda
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 10 inch tube pan.
- In a large bowl mix together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Blend in the butter. (You just made the fresh ingredient equivalent of "box of yellow cake mix")
- Make a well in the center and pour in eggs, pudding mix, club soda, oil. Blend ingredients, then beat for 2 minutes at medium speed.
- Pour into the pan. Bake for 50 to 55 minutes, until cake springs back when lightly pressed. Allow to cool for about 20 minutes in pan and then turn out onto a plate or rack.